I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

oooooohhh, something new

As I was looking at the "blog" I was asked if I wanted to update...

OOOOOoooohhhh, something new.  So I see there is a new way to post and check out blog stuff.  Marlo informed me it was easier.   As with anything, most likely it is, but first you have to reteach yourself on how to apply the update.
About reteaching yourself the update....

  I remember watching my grandmother watch the washer.  She would stand there with the lid open and watch the washer agitate.  
I always wondered why?  
Is it going somewhere?  
Is there something she is waiting for to appear so she can snatch it up?

I would stand beside her and watch her watching the washing machine and wait for something to happen, something exciting...  Nothing exciting ever happened.  Usually she would notice me, close the lid, and smile.  Then go on with something else.  
But, if I went back in a bit...she would be standing there with the lid up watching the machine again.  

Some days later I was at a different grandmother's home and she was standing at the washer watching it.  This greatly puzzled me.  
My mother always tossed in the clothes, soap and walked away till a buzzer sounded or something.
However, I figured it out at the visit to my other grandmothers...

she was using a somewhat old fashioned washing system where the clothes went into a washer and then were hand fed and cranked through a wringer and tossed into a rinse tub, swirled around a bit by hand; then through a wringer and into another rinse tub for a repeat; then the clothes were hand cranked again through the wringer.  The wringer actually spun from one wash/rinse tub to another till it came back to full circle.  There would be a laundry basket sitting on a chair where the clothes fell, then the clothes went out to be hung.
  This clued me in on what my grandmother was watching.
It was actually "amazement and awe" 
she no longer had to handle the clothes while they washed, 
no more hand cranking, 
no more shifting loads and loads
of laundry around all day while laundry was being done (makes my shoulders and arms ache just thinking about it).  
The washing machine actually did the work for her.
Reteaching the update... 

Can you imagine how our lives would be different if we spent a day doing laundry? Not the way we do it now, but the way our grandparents did?

  No wonder Monday was wash day, and Tuesday was ironing day.  It literally took all day to complete a task we toss in and forget about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers