I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Something to thank the internet for


Isn't the internet wonderful!
Not only can you spend hours upon hours looking at "stuff", playing games, watching video clips, learning new songs, observing movie trailers, checking out blogs; you can also ask questions about things which are bugging you...
For example, just yesterday I had had it with my serger. You know, it is like 25 years old, rarely goes into the shop, and generally never lets me down.
Not lately.
This is where
I insert a sad face...
My serger has gone from stitching poorly, to not stitching at all. I have oiled it, looked at it, said not so nice words to it. Moved it around, unplugged it, replugged it, forgotten about it, and generally just plain ignored it. All to no avail.
I spent "hours" looking at replacement sergers, trying to find a deal I could afford (meaning less than $20.00), realizing this wasn't going to happen. Back to the internet, I put in my statement, "my serger hates me". And....lo and behold someone else's serger hates them as well. What does this mean? It means if you look hard enough and wade through enough "crap" you could possibly find a solution to your serger
hating you.
Sometimes it makes me crazy when I am having a sewing problem and I receive the typical answers
  • your machine is threaded incorrectly
  • your needles are dull or bent
  • your machine needs oiling
Really, do you think I would be that silly as to not check the above items before I wasted hours looking for a solution? Who is that stupid? In response to the typical answers, of course I did all of those things.
I even read where a repairman would "help" you online, his answers were actually quite insulting and rather rude (after trying his rudeness you could ship your machine to him for repair). I found another site where you could ask your question and they would respond to you after you told them how much you would pay for their answer....hmmmmm something to definitely think about doing.
Finally, I found someone not rude, or insulting, not determined to make a buck and willing to share their personal experiences with the internet. They even had a few different solutions for my to try. So I did.
SUCESS!!!
Their suggestions
  • take a folded piece of cloth and wipe out the tension dials (sometimes thread and wax build up in there)
  • take all of the tension dials to 0 and rebuild your tension settings
These were both things I hadn't thought of doing before and they allowed me to get my serger to stitch, I was even able to roll hem an item with it. I do believe my serger is most likely wore out and does indeed need to be replaced, however for right now, I just need a fix and someone to find one at a yard sale for a few bucks. (wishful thinking, I know).

However, we do end back up with one of the things I like about the internet...



1 comment:

  1. Mom I love that you are a DORK. congrats on serger success.

    ReplyDelete

Followers