I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Neighborhoods

Most of the time I don't pay too much attention to the "neighbors".
We essentially live in a tiny little corner of an extended family neighborhood.
I mean I did notice there was a bunch of activity across the street months ago when my neighbor died (didn't know he died though),
and I am aware when kitty corner neighbor is not home and his children are,
and I always know when something "big" is going on with the extended family.
see the gardener guy all of the time,
and I know the lady on the hill is needing more care,
and occasionally I see the people who work out of town all of the time. I do occasionally share fresh bread or cookies or cakes with the neighbors
But,
thanks to good neighbors who smelled smoke late last night...
They were coming home a little after midnight and smelled smoke,
because it was kind of late they were wondering who was burning at night,
then they saw some smoke and thought,
"Hey, we are already in the car, let's go see what that is?"
Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Our shed had caught on fire!
And the dried up grasses around it as well...

I awoke to someone knocking on our front door (I had gone to bed about 11:30), I opened the door to no one and noticed there was an extra vehicle outside,
then I heard people talking (I thought perhaps someone had stopped by that needed a place to sleep),
so I walked around the side of the house to a fellow talking about the shed being on "fire" (He was doing this while running all around with a garden hose),
the house I ran to grab
Cliff and Marlo.
Thank you neighbors who notice things, he had the fire under control and mostly out without a call to 911.
Most everything was "saved" from the shed (I really don't know what, as it was on Marlo's side).

Funny thought, I had taken a peak outside before I went to bed,
taking care of the dog and all, nothing happening...so within about 30 minutes we had flames licking up the side of the shed as well as inside.
Makes you think, doesn't take much time.
As I looked around,
I realized the neighbor's field (different neighbor) would have been like a wild fire had it spread...and,
our home would definitely have been included in this "little" fire.

Thanks again to neighbors who look after us.

1 comment:

  1. WOW.....what a scary wonderful story!! Bake them some bread!! We had a similar story when one of our apartments caught fire and the neighbors in the house behind the apartment noticed and called the fire department. The fire was confined to that one apartment but would have soon spread all down the roof to the other six apartments. We were lucky. I'm so happy you and your property and your neighbors are all safe today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers