I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Why would we have Seven Children?





That is a very good question.
The quick answer for today is...
so Mitch and I wouldn't need to spend a year installing a fence for Grandmama.
Saturday, 7 AM,
we gathered at Grandmama's home and put up her new, vinyl fence.
Brino had gone over a few weeks earlier and dug out the old, rotted, nasty (yucky face here) railroad ties and then dug around all of the various "utility" stuff to get the post holes ready. (why would there be a waterline going under her house?)
Then, the fencing was decided upon and ordered.
A mass text went out Friday reminding everyone about 7 a.m. Saturday.
Every family was there one way of another except for Marlo and Cliff (they had a last minute trip come up) and Hoperdoo, she was at a camp meeting and Tink brought a friend, (Yeah, more muscles).
It was quite fantastic watching the family work together for a few hours.
My contribution was minimal...I asked a lot of questions to which I usually received this answer
"We are getting there, it isn't important yet!" or the answer I really like,
"Geez Mom, give us a minute"
and the especially loved,
"How come you're so picky?"
or perhaps,
"Why didn't you say something sooner?"
Enough about my contribution...
It truly was rewarding watching the family work together on the project. For the first 30 minutes or so everyone was rather clumped together and it looked as if this was a small state job in process. One person doing something, everyone else supervising...then as the morning progressed, everyone spread out and started working jointly on the fence, but with different aspects. It was great. By the end of the process, everyone had a "job".
Ticklebug worked with Tink's friend and Tink and assembled main fencing parts, Rosco designed a "cutting" area to work in and made cut after cut after cut...he was always looking ahead to what was going to be needed next, Brino supervised, helped everywhere and ran back and forth to the fence store to pick up things that were needed, Chaser worked with Hubby installing the top rails and lattice, Branson was in charge of the tape measure, and Briceman played with Bear, the dog. The boys also found some fantastic dirt to drive their cars in. They were great to go around the string line and did an awesome job handing fence parts as needed.
Grandmama made sure everyone was hydrated and had a yummy treat or a piece of fruit for quick energy.
One of the coolest things (to me) was after the fence was "up" the mess was cleaned up. Trash gathered, disturbed dirt raked back into place, and the fence was washed down and wiped dry (couldn't be dirty with Hubby around).
All in all, was a great morning project for the family...what a great service they provided. And, we had a great time with everyone.

(After I figure out how to download pix from my phone to the computer I will post some pix here of the fence family project).


1 comment:

  1. Sounds really wonderful and I know your Mom is so relieved, grateful and happy!!! Can't wait to see pix. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers