I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Friday, August 19, 2011

School has begun...


Funny how your life changes every year as school begins. For several years it was go here, go there, talk to this one, find a parking spot, find your desk, find your name, find your teacher times 5 or 6... The first day of school was hectic, chaotic, and traumatic. Ready for school or not, we went.
We have been through the heartbreaking kindergartens, and the very difficult first grade beginnings; where they are really now in school, whole day and everything. We have watched as they have shifted from one school to the next, have observed as they have changed and adapted to the different challenges "school" has delivered to them,
and we have heard them say, "thanks Mom, this is cool", so we can drop them off close to school but no longer with a kiss on the cheek. And we have learned to re-adjust our lives after school has once again, begun.
Used to be the first day of school meant an extremely crazy couple of hours while I made sure my high schoolers through kindergartners got to school, found their classmates and discovered where the desks were. Then, whomever was left went with me and my friend to "lunch". This was tradition.
We would be back early enough to pick up, locate, and await the buses which delivered our children. But lunch was our celebration.
It was the beginning of a quieter time of life, the marker of time to start working on Christmas projects, and provided the opportunity to relax a bit after the summer crazies.
Now, the first day of school is a three minute event, a question of this door or that? And a (I love this one) "I'll call you when I'm done" comment with a thanks Mom, I love you quickly said as the car door closes.
No longer do I do back to school lunch with my friend. We don't even get together to celebrate school beginning and in another year back to school will no longer be a part of my life...
My comment to those of you who have kindergartners...soon they will be seniors and you won't be having any back to school celebration lunches. Treasure and cherish the smiles, giggles, tears and joys....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers