I am a closet blogger. This is a place where I share musings from my day, things I wonder about, things I feel strongly about or things I just feel like talking about. Also, this is where I share new things I have created.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Girl Time


A few years ago I took Air and a van load of friends with Marlo (tolerated little sis) down to Vegas to go "dress" shopping. There was much laughing and giggling and definitely very much trying on. Essentially, we walked into several stores, took everything off of the rack, commandeered a dressing area (all of the rooms) and tried everything on and then shared it with one of the other girls or more. Things were heard like, "this one would be wonderful if I were a foot taller....Aubrey....", and "fun, but not me". However, the most memorable was when one of the girls got "stuck".

Yesterday, Hoperdoo wanted a similar experience.
Prom is coming up you know, and she is old enough.
After trying to coordinate everyone's schedules Hoperdoo ended up with two of her sisters and me.

Hoperdoo went into a dressing room, yes we commandeered two, and happily started putting on whatever her sisters handed to her. Zips undone, off the hanger, and over the head, or perhaps you need to step into this one.

She tried on (I think) every dress the store had in her size. And then tried on a bunch more up and down from her size. We looked at skirts, fabrics, bodices and sleeves. It appears ball room gowns are "in" this season and we are still seeing the bright clear colors of spring. Not nearly as many in deep tones. However, something unusual or a bit 60ish...printed fabrics in bold designs.

She found a yellow dress she liked, only one in the store, and went to put it on. Now Hoperdoo feels very tall in our family and she thinks she is really, really tall, but she isn't...And this yellow dress showed her just how tall she wasn't. If she were 6 inches taller the hips would have hit her at her hipline, not at her fullest part of her fanny line. Anyway, a few minutes after she started with this yellow dress we heard a "help" from the dressing room. There was Hoperdoo, stuck, no up or down, stuck. We giggled and laughed and tugged a bit, all the while remembering the time when someone got "stuck" in Vegas.

The last dress she tried on was possibly her fav, but it did not fit her right. I would love for designers to figure out that not everyone is 5'10" tall and built like a stick. Some of us have curves you know.

After the disappointment of the first shop, we had to go to another to "make things better". Mistake, should have stopped at the first. I don't think this shop had anything in her size.

So, the trip did not net us a dress (to copy) that she just "loves", I wouldn't even say she found a color that was amazing. We did discover a different sleeve to try, and an asymmetrical skirt with deep inverted pleats to try to figure out, and learned that Carl's Jr. does indeed have a dollar burger, just not on their menu.

What is interesting to me...My older girls rarely got to go with me alone anywhere, they always needed to share. Hoperdoo has the opportunity to be "alone" with me and she wants her sisters with her. "She is being gypped" because she is the youngest and her sisters are busy with their families and things...funny how the grass is always greener....

2 comments:

  1. Mom and the Girls wish I could have found a babysitter for the munchkin- It would have been fun to go with you maybe next time, love ya K8

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you too. But you did make something really cute while we were gone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers